Thursday, December 6, 2007

25 Beers of Christmas, Day 6: Blue Moon Full Moon


The year was 1997 and I was still in the Navy. Money was tight and I was a newlywed making very little money on my E-5 salary. But I loved my beer.

Enter Blue Moon Brewing. I knew they were a subsidiary of Coors but the six-packs of Blue Moon were only $4.99 and they were often accompanied by $1.00 off coupons placed around the neck of the bottle. Thus, they were a go-to beer for my fridge.

Back then, there was Blue Moon Belgian White and their Pumpkin Beer seemed to be available year round. They also had Blue Moon Abbey Ale. I had already been to Belgium twice at this point and knew it wasn't truly authentic but it wasn't bad at all. It was a frequent purchase but disappeared from the shelves a couple of years later.


Tonight I had Blue Moon's Full Moon and I believe it is actually the same recipe for the Abbey Ale I enjoyed many years ago.

It pours a clear reddish-orange and is topped by a thin ivory head. Smells lightly spicy and fruity.

It tastes lightly metallic. Some candy sugar flavor, some estery flavors. Is a bit sticky in the mouth but finishes cleaner than you would expect.

Don't expect your typical Belgian abbey but it's pretty good stuff.






No comments: